The Family Link app from Google helps parents stay in the loop as their child or teen explores on their Android device, and lets parents set certain digital ground rules for their family.
First, a child/teen will need a compatible device (see which devices work with Family Link). Then, parents can start by downloading Family Link onto their own device (Android or iPhone).
If a child/teen already has an account, Family Link will walk their parent through linking their account to their child’s account. As part of that process, the child/teen may also need to download the Family Link (Child/Teen) app on their phone to complete the process of linking the accounts.
Parents can also use Family Link to create a Google Account for their child under 13 (or the applicable age in your country). Once complete, children can sign-in to their device with their new account.
Once the accounts are linked, parents can use Family Link to help them do things like keep an eye on screen time and manage the content they use.
Guide your child to good content online using Family Link:
- View their activity – not all screen time is the same. Help your child make healthy decisions about what they do on their device, with activity reports showing how much time they’re spending on their favourite Apps.
- Manage their Apps – handy notifications let you approve or block Apps your child wants to download from the Google Play Store. You can also manage in-app purchases, and hide specific apps on the device
- Feed their curiosity – it can be hard to figure out what Apps are right for your child, so Family link shows you teacher-recommended apps that you can add directly to their device.
- Keep an eye on screen time – set limits – it’s up to you to decide the right amount of screen time for your child. You can also set bedtime for their supervised devices to help them find a good balance.
- Lock their device – whether it’s time to play outside, have dinner or just have family time, you can remotely lock a supervised device whenever you feel it’s the time.
- See where they are – it is helpful to be able to find your child when they’re on the go. You can use Family Link to help locate them if they are carrying their device.